The 2014/2015 Kenya Cup season is scheduled to kick off on November 8. kenyacup.com recently caught up with Simon Jawichre, Head Coach of newly promoted Catholic Monks who will make their debut in the country’s top tier league.
- How has your team been preparing for the upcoming season?
We are behind in our preparations but I am putting full steam on the players and we shall use the Impala Floodies period as the trials phase to select our squad for the league campaign.
2. Any new players coming through the ranks? Players to watch out for?
Yes we have, although they are relative unknowns to the larger rugby family. We have a good catchment area from the Rongai area who have been turning up at the training grounds. Key players in my squad are Elly Ojwang, Martin Oyugi and Foster Arens who were instrumental in enabling us secure promotion to the top tier.
3. What is key for your side this season ?
. Key for us this season is to retain our Kenya Cup status when the curtains fall on the season.
4. What is your take on the upcoming season? What your expectations?
It will be tough. Bearing in mind our objective as per 3 above, we aim to remain a Kenya Cup/ESS team beyond next season.
5. Your parting shot ahead of the new season?
We have proved to ourselves that we can fight, and that is what we seek to do. We shall achieve through God’s grace, He who has given us the opportunity in the first place.