Sarries Unplug Deejays In Jamhuri Park Thriller

Resolution Impala Saracens edged out Menengai Cream Homeboyz 42-39 in Kenya Cup match day four action at the Jamhuri Park on Saturday 26 November 2016.

This match was a tale of two halves, quite literally, Homeboyz dominating the first half, taking a 22-18 lead into the breather before the Sarries turned things around in the second half.

It was the Sarries who declared their intent early on, their pressure resulting in Allan Wanjohi rewarding them with a penalty, Quinto Ongo drilling it between the sticks for a 3-0 lead after nine minutes of play.

The deejays responded soon after, Alvin Otieno receiving the ball on the burst, playing in Jeff Oluoch who touched down for the game’s first try, Kelvin Masai adding the extras for a 7-3 lead.

Cyprian Kuto would soon dance through myriad missed Saracens tackles, eventually stopped on the try try line but the deejays soon added a second try, Collins Shikoli going over, Masai doing his thing for a 14-3 lead with twelve minutes played at the Jamhuri Park.

Richard Sindindi, a clear and ever present danger with his enthusiastic running and probing kicks, soon grounded the ball, Ongo converting to bring the Sarries to within four points of their hosts, the digits on the score board reading 14-10 after twenty five minutes of play.

Former Kenya Sevens international Mike Wanjala, and former Kenya Simbas back row Duncan Ekasi would trade unconverted tries, the deejays just shading it 19-15 with six minutes of the first half left on the ticker before Masai and Ongo traded three pointers as the deejays held a 22-18 lead at the interval.

The seems seemed to killed off the game in early second half, Rhone Mudamba landing their bonus point try immediately after the restart with the scores now reading 27-18 after forty two minutes of play.

This seemed to light a fire in the Sarries bellies, three successive converted tries through Ekasi who landed his brace, Nyando Nyandigisi and Nato Simiyu complimented by Ongo’s two conversions and George Okowa’s solitary effory radically turned around the scoreline, the Sarries coasting to a 39-27 lead heading onto the final quarter of an hour, Okowa adding a penalty as the deejays seemed dead and buried.

The final ten minutes made for edge of the seat stuff, the deejays throwing everything at the Sarries, even the kitchen sink, they would land two tries from Philip Ikambili courtesy of the rolling maul, Kelvin Masai with one conversion, the deejays trailing 42-39 with possession in the final play. A handling error cost them dearly, Allan Wanjohi promptly blowing the full time whistle, the Sarries picking up the bonus point win, Homeboyz landing two bonus points for scoring four tries and losing by less than seven points.


Facebook Comments Box
News Reporter

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: